Found this in response to an ABC article discussing the issue of...

ANNOUNCEMENT SPONSORED BY PLUS500
CFD TRADING PLATFORM
CFD Service. Your Capital is at risk
CFD TRADING PLATFORM CFD Service. Your Capital is at risk
CFD TRADING PLATFORM CFD Service. Your Capital is at risk
  1. 11,206 Posts.
    Found this in response to an ABC article discussing the issue of post-tick allergic reaction to red meat. Note also the risk when eating marshmallows containing gelatin.

"drjones :
    26 Feb 2014 3:28:33pm
    Hi Dr Karl,

I suffer from this and am an immunologist. The allergy first came up for me in 2004. I was stumped because one of the tricky symptoms is that the anaphlylaxis is delayed, occurring 4-6 hours after the meat meal. Typically anaphlyaxis occurs very rapidly after allergen exposure.

It was my dear beloved (a very smart lady and also an ex-immunology graduate) who figured out it was red meat - this was in 2006- before Sharyn van Neunan et al had cracked it. It was doubly hard to crack because she is a vegartarian, and consequently I only used to eat red meat infrequently anyway. The other complex thing is that it is only RARE red meat that is the issue- well cooked meat is ok. So I had instances of eating red meat (eg in a well cooked moussaka) with no issues, but then had the reaction after a rare serving of meat. In fact we did a RAST test with a piece of rare lamb to prove it- the allergist/immunologist that we did this for was very impressed (since prior he'd tested all sorts of other allergens to no avail)!

This allergy has another concern- it makes the patient potentially ineligible to receive the blockbuster biologic monoclonal antibody drugs like Rituxan, Erbitux and Hercepitn, because these drugs have alpha-gal on them. They are proteins that get made using a mammalian cell line. The cells (CHO cells of hamster origin) put alpha-gal on the antibodies. This problem has recently been published:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24468247

PS> The bit about well cooked red meat not causing the reaction is interesting because cooking does not break down the alpha-gal- it modifies the meat protein. So the immune system needs to see both the protein and the alpha-gal to go into anaphylaxis..."

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2014/02/25/3951271.htm

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.