STO 2.63% $7.02 santos limited

Thanks, VH. What are your thoughts on a simplified DCF...

1. 67 Posts.
    Thanks, VH.

What are your thoughts on a simplified DCF containing the following inputs:

FCF pa = 70 mmboe x ($60 avg pb - $40 be bp) = $1.4b

(Once 2017 annual comes in, we should be able to rec the figures back to their FCF break even guidance)

Growth 2017 -2022: 3%

Discount Rate: 10%

(I’ve calculated a WACC of 9%, so will push to 10)

Terminal Multiple: 5x

(I think this is a conservative multiple for oil and gas comps)

Diluted Shares outstanding: 2083m

Price per share: $5.63

All in all, if their guidance is correct the 2017 numbers may bring a positive surprise. 1) implications massive cost and capex reductions in rising oil price environment hasn’t been reported 2) Santos have actually been selling product at a premium to Brent prices - will be interesting to see the impact.

The above is admittedly a bit ‘back-of-the-napkin’ so happy to have additional input.

Aside from that, it sounds like your base case expects $6+ which suggests a ~34% upside.

Given the seemingly unlikelihood of oil going back below $40 pb anytime soon, mostly helped by OPEC + Russia and long term reduced capacity in general, what downside are you seeing? How does Origin have a better risk/reward characteristic?

Are you at a stage where these types of turnaround speculations are too risky and you’d prefer secure, dividend stocks?

Again, genuinely keen to learn and understand.

Not being snarky..

Personally I bought more at $4.46 today. I think KG has proven himself this year and will continue to do so through the growth phase.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add STO (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.