TVN 2.08% 4.7¢ tivan limited

I can't find any record of them saying explicitly "this coal...

1. 5,334 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 581
    I can't find any record of them saying explicitly "this coal will get $60/t."

What they said was carefully worded - they said "The coal price at the Chinese border is approximately $60/ tonne and seaborne thermal coal is currently selling at $120/ tonne."

That is true for various benchmark indexes, but that changes with grade and over time. 4000kcal is the lowest grade you can get, which might be $60/t at the moment (since coal prices are still elevated from the Qld floods) but the long-term average price will be more like $35-40/t.

China's pricing system has 6000, 5500, 5000, 4500 and 4000kcal coals. The last is what TVN has, the lowest grade coal (hence why I said it's D-grade thermal).

From what I can tell, 4000 usually is priced about half of 6000. So TVN's margin will depend on the long-term coal price.

The 2 drill results to date are encouraging, to say the least, so I am hopeful they will prove up far more than 100mt.

I would say that is highly likely. Lignites are well known for their thick seams, 100m is not unusual. So I expect these thicknesses will persist over much of the tenement. The main thing to worry about is depth, which will affect whether they can mine it cheaply enough.

I will do up a rough tonnage estimate later on but it wouldn't surprise me if they have more than 500Mt there.

Don't get me wrong, at $30M market cap I have no doubt that say a 600Mt JORC will send the SP flying. I'm not saying TVN is a bad investment. I'm just saying their coal is low quality and that using the Qdaf figure is misleading. That's all.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add TVN (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.