ELK 0.00% 1.4¢ elk petroleum limited

Thanks to Danpech and Value_Hunter for their useful comments...

ANNOUNCEMENT SPONSORED BY PLUS500
CFD TRADING PLATFORM
CFD Service. Your Capital is at risk
CFD TRADING PLATFORM CFD Service. Your Capital is at risk
CFD TRADING PLATFORM CFD Service. Your Capital is at risk
  1. 23 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 46
    Thanks to Danpech and Value_Hunter for their useful comments yesterday, concerning how to think about Elk's debt-levels and prospects, as well as prospects for re-financing.

About Elk's hedging, my understanding is that Elk did use options to hedge the downside-risk for Grieve production. Happily, this approach offers protection - at a fixed/extra cost - while also permitting Elk to participate in the upside of $60-plus dollars-per-barrel oil prices . . . even for the volume of production protected through options.

Less happily, Elk chose to protect their downside on Aneth through swaps rather than options. If oil-prices had stayed below $50 . . . where they were when the Aneth acquisition was negotiated . . . this swaps-strategy would have saved money while keeping the lenders happy that their down-side risk was protected.

Said another way, Elk essentially paid for insurance to protect downside risk for Grieve production, while still benefiting from upside profits resulting from a rising oil price.

Elk saved the money for insurance-premiums to protect downside risk for Aneth production at the - much higher, in hindsight - cost of forgoing upside profits for the 4-plus thousand barrels of Aneth oil hedged using fixed-price swaps.

Call that penny-wise and dollar-foolish - in hindsight, which is always 20/20 - sigh . . .

Because at today's $65-plus price per barrel for WTI oil, capping the upside on 4 thousand barrels of production per day at $50 dollars will cost Elk roughly US$22 million per year.

The good news is the remarkable value accretion resulting from buying the fabulous Aneth asset at such a great price. Despite leaving money on the table - by using swaps instead of options to hedge - Elk shareholders are much better off owning Aneth than not.

I score the Aneth deal as an 8. The full 10-points-upon-10 for the original transaction, minus 2 for the unfortunate economizing on hedging-insurance-costs. Still a great deal which deserves both thumbs-up!

All of the above is based only on my (limited) knowledge of the Grieve and Aneth financial engineering. Any fellow investors with more/better insights, please jump in and correct any wrong perceptions or misunderstandings.

Sign me still long-term bullish on Elk!

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add ELK (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.
Fatal error: Uncaught ErrorException: session_write_close(): Failed to write session data using user defined save handler. (session.save_path: ) in /data/vhosts/test/hotcopper-git/upload/darkhorse/vendor/zendframework/zend-session/src/SessionManager.php:236 Stack trace: #0 [internal function]: Application\Service\AppManager::handlePhpError(2, 'session_write_c...', '/data/vhosts/te...', 236, Array) #1 /data/vhosts/test/hotcopper-git/upload/darkhorse/vendor/zendframework/zend-session/src/SessionManager.php(236): session_write_close() #2 [internal function]: Zend\Session\SessionManager->writeClose() #3 {main} thrown in /data/vhosts/test/hotcopper-git/upload/darkhorse/vendor/zendframework/zend-session/src/SessionManager.php on line 236