AGK 0.53% $13.18 agl energy limited

I suspect the carbon price will have to be a fair bit higher...

ANNOUNCEMENT SPONSORED BY PLUS500
CFD TRADING PLATFORM
CFD Service. Your Capital is at risk
CFD TRADING PLATFORM CFD Service. Your Capital is at risk
CFD TRADING PLATFORM CFD Service. Your Capital is at risk
  1. 293 Posts.
    I suspect the carbon price will have to be a fair bit higher than the one being mooted to advantage gas generation of electricity.

Some back of the envelope generalisations. Gas produces half the CO2 per MWhr/kWhr as does coal. Here in Qld it's close to 1t CO2/MWhr - black coal dominates the fuel mix. I'll assume coal-fired generation is $50/MWhr (a bit high compared to what AEMO is showing) and gas is $80/MWhr (prices I've seen quoted by various industry players). CO2 at $30/t sends coal to $80/MWhr and gas to $95/MWhr, which is certainly closer. On my assumptions we'd need a $60 carbon price before coal would become second choice to gas on generation costs alone.

For every $10/t of carbon price could see our (Qld) retail electricity price rise 1c/kWhr ($10/t(CO2)=1000c/t(CO2), 1t(CO2)/MWhr=1t(CO2)/1000kWhrs, -> 1000c/1000kWhrs -> 1c/kWhr). Simplistic but indicative.

Some other generalisations - generators from wind, like AGK and IFN, have spoken of wanting/needing $100-120+/MWhr for viability of windfarms but struggle to get that. Present technology PVs are supposedly in the $180-200/MWhr range, I've seen figures as low as $140 and as high as $340. A newspaper carried the story a few weeks ago of new generation PVs matching or bettering wind or gas within a few years.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add AGK (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.
Fatal error: Uncaught ErrorException: session_write_close(): Failed to write session data using user defined save handler. (session.save_path: ) in /data/vhosts/test/hotcopper-git/upload/darkhorse/vendor/zendframework/zend-session/src/SessionManager.php:236 Stack trace: #0 [internal function]: Application\Service\AppManager::handlePhpError(2, 'session_write_c...', '/data/vhosts/te...', 236, Array) #1 /data/vhosts/test/hotcopper-git/upload/darkhorse/vendor/zendframework/zend-session/src/SessionManager.php(236): session_write_close() #2 [internal function]: Zend\Session\SessionManager->writeClose() #3 {main} thrown in /data/vhosts/test/hotcopper-git/upload/darkhorse/vendor/zendframework/zend-session/src/SessionManager.php on line 236