ANNOUNCEMENT SPONSORED BY PLUS500
CFD TRADING PLATFORM
CFD Service. Your Capital is at risk
CFD TRADING PLATFORM CFD Service. Your Capital is at risk
ANNOUNCEMENT SPONSORED BY PLUS500
CFD TRADING PLATFORM CFD Service. Your Capital is at risk
  1. 2,096 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 500
    Yes, I should have mentioned this. I would also add that it would be a lot easier to for a punter to effectively differentiate between their trading activities and their investing activities (talking about shares only, here) if the "investments" were held for longer than 12 months. I cannot imagine ATO recognizing a punter as a share "trader" for one set of completed share transactions on the one hand and then as a share "investor" for another set of completed share transactions on the other hand (i.e. in the same tax year) without some kind of compelling reason. Remember, a punter has to jump through a number of hoops to satisfy the ATO of their "share trader" status. Undoing that and reverting back to the default "share investor" status for a concurrent set of share transactions is no small feat without an accompanying compelling rationale. Having held the "investment" shares for longer than 12 months (i.e. purchased in a different tax year) and using a different broker would certainly go a long way to proving those bona fides. If those "investment" shares have been held for several years, all the better.

Coming back to bellenuit's specific personal situation, I think that simply adding CFDs to the mix, using the same broker (you implied you are using IB) wouldn't be a problem, as CFDs are a different instrument.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.