ELK 0.00% 1.4¢ elk petroleum limited

Good morning Dan, Well done with researching what I attempting...

ANNOUNCEMENT SPONSORED BY PLUS500
CFD TRADING PLATFORM
CFD Service. Your Capital is at risk
CFD TRADING PLATFORM CFD Service. Your Capital is at risk
CFD TRADING PLATFORM CFD Service. Your Capital is at risk
  1. 6,312 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 425
    Good morning Dan,

Well done with researching what I attempting to draw attention to. I am not an accountant - but I am a finance person (now). I actually put up a simple Residual Earnings on SSN a few weeks back now that they are into a project that is highly capital efficient. Whether they get to survive or not remains to be seen.

I wouldn't say genius ... excel makes us all look smarter than we are

Be careful not to mix things up. When doing Equity Valuation you need the Required Return on Equity cost of capital and use that. When doing Project Evaluation you would look for the WACC as a STARTING POINT for the determining the discount factor to use in NPV analysis. WACC is the overall cost of capital for the company ... so if a project does not mirror the capital structure of the company AND mirror the risk of the company's other assets then it needs to be adjusted. And since it is a project many things can be left off (e.g. corporate costs)

I'd be genuinely surprised (shocked, stunned and awed more like it) if ELK had equity cost of capital of 11%. Something else to look up is the CAPM and use of Beta. The beta value for ELK on Yahoo doesn't appear to make any sense to use. The beta for your partner DNR is 4.28 which puts the Required Return on Capital (which is used as cost of capital) at approx 32.5% .... Yep thirty two point five ... this is reflective of the risk that DNR carries (as they have been close to Ch 11 a couple of times in the past 4 years).

Enough on the corporate finance aspects ... just trying to highlight its much more complicated (and therefore riskier) than most posters think.

Again I look at Earnings... sorry but $14/BO for all in cost is not believeable. But that's OK I am not modeling ELK and when I do model these days I am looking for value creation (for the common equity shareholder) ... and that simply means how will a company earn about its equity cost of capital. Does anyone here really care about creating value for the debt holders??

Take another look at shale ... not from the perspective of a small Aussie ASX company but through the lens of say COP or EOG in the EFS and CVX and PXD in the Permian. The issue was/is/and always will be about CAPITAL EFFICIENCY.

Best of luck with ELK, may it earn above its cost of capital and deliver value to shareholders (and deliver reliably positive FCF to do what is best for shareholders ... and if that means returning cash so be it).

Regards

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add ELK (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.